Have you been using SoulCollage® yourself? Are you enthusiastic about it? The SoulCollage® Facilitator Training is for anyone who wants to facilitate SoulCollage® for self-discovery in groups and with individuals. There are no degrees or academic requirements, but please read the prerequisites we want you to complete before you come to a Training.
The Facilitator Training is different from a SoulCollage® retreat or workshop, even though in both settings a participant may experience deep personal process. The primary focus of a SoulCollage® Training is to teach participants to be SoulCollage® Facilitators. We expect that you are taking the Training because SoulCollage® has been meaningful to you in your own process, and you are eager to share SoulCollage®, even if you are not clear just how you will be doing that. Many people become clear about how they will use SoulCollage® during or even after a Training.
After participating and completing all sessions of the Training, participants receive a certificate of completion conferring the right to use the name "SoulCollage®" in the title of their groups or workshops and to call themselves "SoulCollage® Facilitators." There is no SoulCollage® "Certification." It is not possible in one weekend "certify" anyone. Certification trainings are traditionally a much longer educational and apprenticing process. What we do offer is continuing connection with the SoulCollage® Facilitator Community worldwide which provides networking and education after the Training through online courses, conferences, retreats, web resources, online and regional groups, and in some cases, individual support through correspondence.
Preparation and Prerequisites
No degrees or certifications are necessary to take this training, but in order for everyone to enter the Training with similar basic experience, it is required that participants prepare by:
Before you come, to a Training, it is important to:
- Read SoulCollage® Evolving
- Listen to Seena Frost's two basic CDs (Introduction to SoulCollage® and Facilitating SoulCollage® in Groups) - Both are also available for purchase and digital download at the iTunes store.
- Make several cards for your own deck in three of the suits (one card in the Companions Suit is sufficient). We want you to have a working knowledge of the SoulCollage® process, its structure of suits, and its Principles.
- Experience SoulCollage®! Mariabruna Sirabella, SoulCollage® Trainer, has said that making cards without reading them is like preparing a delicious meal and not eating it. We would like you to have enjoyed your meal by
- Using the "I Am One Who..." exercise with your cards yourself
- Taking a local workshop if you can find one, or a recorded course if you can't find a local one.
If you can't find a SoulCollage® Introductory workshop near you, you can take a recorded video course which will give you a sense of the deep potential of the SoulCollage® process in community and also give you some valuable basic information. There are two "Fundamentals of SoulCollage®" courses to choose from online:
- Introduction to the Fundamentals of SoulCollage® with Mariabruna Sirabella
- Introduction to the Fundamentals of SoulCollage® with Kat Kirby
If you decide to sign up for this Training, please schedule your time to complete these prerequisites. Your Trainer and your Training colleagues will appreciate that you have completed the basics before you come.
This three-day SoulCollage® Facilitator Training is required in order to call yourself a SoulCollage® Facilitator and your groups SoulCollage® Groups. If you are sharing SoulCollage® in groups before being Trained, please read Principles of SoulCollage® and SoulCollage® Guidelines. The first part of the Principles will tell you what is included in a SoulCollage® workshop. The last few paragraphs will tell you how you are permitted to advertise your groups before completing the Training. If you want to use SoulCollage® in your work, you must prepare for and complete all sessions of the Facilitator Training.
Certificate of Completion
Individuals who complete all sessions of the SoulCollage® Training will receive a certificate of completion and may use the SoulCollage® trademark in doing individual or group work according to the Principles of SoulCollage®. Thus, SoulCollage® trains, rather than "certifies," Facilitators.
We have been friends and colleagues for over twenty years. We are both artists and psychotherapists and have always supported each other in so many aspects of our personal and professional lives. When we decided to attend the SoulCollage® Facilitator Training in March 2014, we were excited about the adventure of “a road trip” together as well as embarking on this amazing journey as partners in a new creative endeavor.
We spent some time together pre-Facilitator Training, making cards & listening to Seena Frost’s CDs. We got to be “roomies” at the Training and had a wonderful car ride home, sharing stories of our lives we’d never shared before.
Most importantly, however, is what comes next. We are reviewing all the resources available and planning our first workshops and marketing plans. We also get to make and share our cards and do readings together. We feel very lucky to have a buddy to do this with. We also feel very welcomed by the SoulCollage® Community and blessed to be part of the circle.
~ Cynthia Hymowitz and Kaylin Noblin, Santa Rosa, CA
Finding a Training and a Trainer
SoulCollage® Trainers have many years experience with SoulCollage® and represent a wide range of talents and experiences. All Trainers have different interests and special skills additional to their Training skills. Represented are art therapists, therapists, teachers, and those interested in special applications of SoulCollage®, such as grief, art, photography, videography, writing, community, trauma, cancer support, homeopathy, organizational development, spirituality, etc. Some Trainers speak several languages.
Trainings sometimes happen in Trainers' homes, some are done in retreat facilities or other public settings (see differently-abled information below.) The curriculum for SoulCollage® Facilitator Training sessions is standard, though ways in which content is presented may vary from Trainer to Trainer. Fees and schedules for the SoulCollage® Training and accommodations may also vary, as Trainers are self-employed: thus they schedule, choose the locations and settings for, and price their own Trainings.
Differently-Abled Participant Information
Please ask the Trainer about how it may be possible to accommodate special needs in a particular Training and its setting. Most public retreat or hotel facilities in the U.S. are accessible to those with physical mobility issues.
It is important that a participant is able to be present for, participate in, and complete all sessions in the Training. The few days are packed with exercises and information in order to make the Training financially accessible to more people, and this can sometimes be arduous, especially for people who are challenged in terms of energetic stamina. There is a lot of sitting, some movement exercises (which could be modified), and dyadic and group sharing.
One deaf participant brought her own translator for whom she paid the fee and the shared accommodations fee. Several have been able to bring their service dogs to Trainings. Many have been able to participate in and complete the Training while in wheelchairs or on crutches.
Who should participate?
Anyone who would like to form SoulCollage® Groups or use SoulCollage® in already established groups (such as church groups, women's groups, senior groups, hospice, educational classes) or as an art technique as an adjunct to other kinds of groups, classes, or workshops is welcome to register.
SoulCollage® Trainings have attracted many therapists and art therapists who love the SoulCollage® process and see readily how it can be used in their work. Training participants network with each other and share how to adapt the SoulCollage® process to their clientele. Please see page with links to information of interest to licensed therapists HERE.
Some ministers and lay clergy have also completed the Training to be able to facilitate SoulCollage® in their ministry.
No degree or other credentialing is required to attend the Training. Enthusiasm for the process and its use in one's own life are the chief criteria for participation. See above for a list of pre-requisite preparations.
I am profoundly moved by the beauty of abundance -- how the organization in its practices, models the deep and beautiful principles of the process.
~Therese Bimka, New York, USA
Continuing Education Credits
SoulCollage Inc. (Provider #133654) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for California licensed LMFTs, MCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs. SoulCollage Inc. maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
Some SoulCollage® Facilitator Training events may be able to award CEUs to LMFTs, MSWs, LPCs, nurses and psychologists (but if so, only by pre-arrangement with your SoulCollage® Trainer.) Please inquire about the availability of CEUs for a particular Training or a particular license or a particular state by writing to your Trainer.
The ATCB (Art Therapy Credentials Board) has for a long time accepted SoulCollage® Institute and SoulCollage® Facilitator Training CEUs for continuing education credit for ATR-BCs, because these courses were accepted for continuing education credits by the California Board of Behavior Sciences mental health licensure board. Participants who need CEUs for AtR-BC licences, please check with the ATCB.
For those Boards who may not be familiar with SoulCollage® and its therapeutic benefits, we offer the following supplemental information: DOWNLOAD PDF
The entire course in this Training is eligible for CEUs as above, except for meal and other breaks. Please contact the administration if you have concerns or grievances.
More Information about the SoulCollage® Training for Professionals
- Prepare therapists to facilitate SoulCollage® competently and confidently with clients (as individuals clients, in groups, and in workshops.)
- Demonstrate to therapists how to use intuition and
imagination (utilizing images, gestalt, and community support in the SoulCollage® method) to help clients find meaning and guidance for their lives.
- Demonstrate to therapists the benefits to clients of making and using SoulCollage® cards and to be able to explain and facilitate this method with clients they assess as prospective beneficiaries of the method and to identify in what ways a client might need encouragement to best utilize the method.
- To compile appropriate art therapy materials for SoulCollage® work, so that the client may fully utilize the method to identify images that have meaning for him or herself and create collaged cards from those images.
- To describe and demonstrate how SoulCollage® utilizes intuition and imagination to help clients guide their lives, by using the cards in a gestalt process.
- Ethical principles (scope of competence, scope of practice, safety, non-exploitation of clients, dual relationship) apply to work conducted with the SoulCollage® method.
- To assess which clients might benefit from SoulCollage® and to create a safe container for clients doing SoulCollage® work in individual or group sessions.
- To prepare a safe and welcoming container for a client from any ethnicity, sexual preference group, gender or religion.
For those Boards who may not be familiar with SoulCollage® and its theoretical basis and therapeutic elements, we offer the following supplemental information.Download PDF.
This has been a very profound and enriching experience. I hope to facilitate groups in therapetuic, health and educational settings and in the prisons, where I work with people recovering from addiction. I am very grateful that I attended this workshop.
~Ruth Jacob, County Dublin, IRELAND
What the SoulCollage® Facilitator Training Covers
- How to facilitate SoulCollage® card-making, including ways to support self-esteem and avoid competition and self-criticism.
- How to implement a therapeutic structure which both protects and encourages self-discovery.
- Ways to adapt the process to different individual issues and different populations.
- Demonstration of how to access intuition with SoulCollage® cards.
- Discussion about how to use the soulcollage.com section of the website for Facilitators to access resources for their SoulCollage® Facilitating with clients.
- Help in envisioning a plan for facilitating SoulCollage® that fits your own passions, intentions, and competencies.
- Ethical pitfalls and challenges that might arise when one is working with individuals and groups using the powerful spiritual and personal images on SoulCollage® cards.
Participants make cards, share cards, and use their own processes as teaching examples for the group in learning how to facilitate SoulCollage® work, because the focus in the Training is training rather than card-making per se as in a workshop. We learn how to do "readings" which use our own intuition to deepen self-knowledge. We learn creative applications and how to adapt the process to different populations. We work towards constructing a plan that fits participants' intended use of the technique. No degree or other credentials are needed to register for this course.
SoulCollage® continues to teach me acceptance and love for myself and others. This weekend deepened my understanding of how alike we all are deep inside, behind all our roles and tastes. I feel more confident about my ability to attract and share with others who will benefit. I feel excited to let my unique voice and power ring out. The opportunity to help others find the magic of the process is an amazing gift.
~ J. B., Tulsa, OK
Inside a SoulCollage® Facilitator Training
SoulCollage® Facilitator Training in West Chester, PA, led by Kat Kirby, SoulCollage® Trainer from Arizona. A group of women spent the weekend learning how to use the SoulCollage® process within their communities. Click here to view slide show.
After the Training
SoulCollage® Facilitator receive ongoing benefits to support them as they develop and deepen their use of SoulCollage® professionally and personally. These benefits include:
- Monthly e-newsletter, "The Neter Letter"
- Facilitator Profile and Workshop Postings on www.soulcollage.com so people can find your workshops easily
- Facilitator-Only Yahoo and Facebook groups
- Continuing education courses and Conferences
I feel affirmed in the work I've been doing and encouraged to do more! I feel connected now to a supportive community of "like minds"!! I now feel I have resources behind me to expand working with SoulCollage® -- in regional heart and cancer centers, perhaps. You have given me a great gift.
~ Mary Mathews, Clinton, NY
SoulCollage® Facilitator Training - Diversity Scholarship Fund
In 2008, the Facilitators Conference Planning Committee had the privilege of establishing the SoulCollage® Diversity Scholarship Fund with profits from the 2008 Conference. The mission of the SoulCollage® Diversity Scholarship Fund is to encourage inclusiveness and access for individuals in a wide variety of unique situations with a focus on serving under-served populations. In additional to financial need, candidates who apply for this Scholarship must be working currently and directly with an institution or community that meets this guideline. Potential applicants can contact Nancy Weiss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can help: On the HOME page, bottom of right column, you can click on the Amazon link, then buy your items as usual. At no cost to you a percentage of your purchase will go to the scholarship fund.
You can contribute directly to help train SoulCollage® Facilitators who have a passion for bringing the SoulCollage® process to a wide variety of people. Please contribute (any amount) to the Diversity Scholarship Fund using the PayPal/CC button below. Thank you!